SKIN & BODY DETOX – Part Two: Skincare
Part One of this article (which can be seen here) describes how our behaviour over the festive season can cause major stress and wreak havoc on the skin and discusses the need for a complete detox and provides professional diet tips to cleanse from the inside out.
Now that you’ve got your digestion sorted and your complexion is beginning to clear, it’s time to focus externally on your skincare and a new year calls for a new skin routine. You can also follow everything we suggest throughout the year as a good guideline for ongoing healthy living.
- Mask—Apply a detoxifying clay mask 1 – 2 times per week. The negative charge of natural clays, especially montmorillonite clay, helps to detoxify the skin by attracting the positive charge of the impurities and pulling them to the surface of your skin. You can apply the clay mask to your face only or all over your body, letting it dry for about 15 minutes before washing it off with a warm wash cloth.
- SPF—Apply products that fight damaging pollutants and skin damage. Help keep your detoxified skin clean and continue to fight damage from free radicals by using products every day that protect the skin.
- Exfoliate—Rather than scrubbing vigorously once a week—and irritating your skin in the process—switch to a cleanser with tiny exfoliating particles.
- Start a daily dry brushing routine. Brushing your body with a natural bristled brush when it is dry helps improve circulation and stimulates your lymphatic system to release toxins. It reduces puffiness and cellulite, improves muscle tone, sloughs of dull, dead skin cells, and encourages skin cell renewal. Practice before a shower and in sweeping motions, start from the feet up and direct all motions to the heart
- Take a detoxifying Epsom salt bath 2 – 3 times per week for 20 – 30 minutes can help clear pollutants from the pores of your skin and is deeply relaxing for the body
- Moisturise immediately after a shower or bath to lock in and help replenish the skins natural barrier. Oils will hold on to ten times more moisture than some lotions, see which suits your skin best and apply after pat drying.
If you prefer to leave your skin in the hands of the experts, try our Skin Detox Facial. This treatment is superb for dull complexions, acne and breakout-prone skin and is created by world renowned specialist PCA Skin using their Oxygenating Trio procedure. The Skin Detox Facial provides antioxidant therapy to support the skins metabolism and leaves it purified, glowing and radiant. Preventing free radical damage caused by environmental stress, and promoting healing to skin depleted by poor diet and lifestyle, it is a treatment that stimulates circulation, drawing oxygen to the surface, beautifully rejuvenating the skin. The treatment lasts 1 hour and is £70.
For more intense results, consider the Detox Laser Lift, a pain-free procedure that energises and clarifies the skin. During detoxification, the body typically requires more vitamin C than normal, as it is a primary antioxidant in removing toxins from the body. Using the industry gold standard laser combined with a vitamin C boosting massage and mask, this detoxifying treatment improves tone and texture whilst stimulates the circulation and production of collagen and elastin to give the skin more volume. A session lasts 60 minutes and is £150.
Not sure where to start?
Enjoy a complimentary prescriptive consultation at your local HC MedSpa to find out what’s best for your skin concerns.
In the next blog…look out for Skin & Body Detox – Part Three: Exercise
By Rabbia Aslam